- What was your Gateway Deck?
The Anna K. Tarot. I got it May 2013 when I started learning tarot, along with Rachel Pollack’s 78 Degrees of Wisdom.
- What about that deck made you want to stick with tarot?
It helped maintain the spark of curiosity I had about tarot, and gave it room to expand and grow. The card images are clear and great for jumping into and wandering around, a la Mary K. Greer’s methods from 21 Ways to Read A Tarot Card.
- Do you still read with/have that deck?
I still have the deck, though I don’t read with it anymore. It currently sits on my bookshelf with my tarot books, in a Very Special Box.
- What is your favorite/most learned from/most drawn to deck?
Ricardo Carvalo’s Tarot del Fuego. I bought it because I wanted to see if I could work with such a fiery and energetic deck, and I was just blown away by it. I never anticipated that it would become one of My Decks to the extent that it did. I’ve had it for probably 3 years or so now, and I’m still learning and growing with it. There are still images that I struggle with, and symbols I reconsider on a regular basis. I’ve never used the standard (and useless) Fornier LWB that came with it, which meant I’ve had to really trust and build on my intuition and analytical skills with this deck from day 1.
- What is the deck that you just can’t use?
The Clover Tarot or any other deck that just gives a visceral reaction of NO.
- How do you feel about the RWS/Marseille/Thoth decks?
I’m most comfortable and at home with RWS based decks. Marseille is intriguing, and Thoth style decks are fun to use, though I heartily dislike the Thoth itself.
- Where do you whip out your decks?
In the booth of the Fortune Teller Bar in St. Louis, MO. At home. Over coffee with friends. Anywhere I can, really.
- Would you consider yourself a Deck Dealer? A Deck Pusher? A Deck Enabler?
I am 100% an enabler and pusher. I’ve managed to convince people to buy decks just by talking about them enthusiastically.
- What deck is at the top of your wishlist?
At the moment, none. I just got my hands on the deck that topped my list for a year and half, The Brady Tarot, and I’m so excited to get to work with it.
- If a Deck granting Magic Being appeared at your door, what is the deck you’d ask them for?
I’d ask for either the original Pacific Rim Fan Tarot or the Collective Tarot, both of which are out of print.
- How did your Gateway Deck influence your tarot preferences and reading style?
The Anna K. Tarot introduced me to RWS style art and reading, which I carry with me to this day. It also formed the foundation of how I look at several cards, including the 3 of Swords. Other decks helped me foster a more analytical reading style, but I’m forever grateful to my first deck for the space it gave me to dive into tarot.