- What was your Gateway Deck?
The Thoth Deck, with the huge cards bigger than my hands
- What about that deck made you want to stick with tarot?
The readings were so spot on! As I learned more about astrology, I was able to glean more information from the astrological associations that were assigned to the cards. Plus the names on the bottoms were pretty handy, except when they weren’t.
- Do you still read with/have that deck?
I still have it, it’s a very valuable possession of mine because it was my father’s deck also. I read with it occasionally, usually when testing out a new spread or when I need a Real Talk Life Reading for myself.
- What is your favorite/most learned from/most drawn to deck?
I am blessed to have many friends who collect tarot decks, so it is really hard to pick just one. I used to work with the Sun & Moon Deck when I was hanging out with a friend years ago & that really helped me. I also really love my Wooden Tarot. I also recently got a reading from a pal with the Numinous Tarot and I can’t stop thinking about those beautiful cards!
- What is the deck that you just can’t use?
The Mary El Tarot! The art is so beautiful but I can’t connect to it, which is such a bummer because I bought it online and immediately gave it away. I have to aesthetically connect to a deck – if it’s too cheesy/campy/whatever I can’t use it. This is why I usually stick to Tarot vs Oracle decks because there are so many cheesy oracle decks.
- How do you feel about the RWS/Marseille/Thoth decks?
Well, obviously I love the Thoth Deck (even though I hate Crowley & my spiritual homie WB Yeats is his arch nemesis but the trickster in me thinks that’s really funny). I do like the Rider Waite Smith and use it for readings on occasion. I actually use the RWS Deck more for magic workings. I haven’t worked with a Marseille Deck.
- Where do you whip out your decks?
I’m not a pro reader, so at home by myself. I will read for friends on occasion, if they ask nicely. I offer readings at a women’s retreat I work at also.
- Would you consider yourself a Deck Dealer? A Deck Pusher? A Deck Enabler?
Deck collector, Deck appreciator, Deck researcher
- What deck is at the top of your wishlist?
Moon Void, Numinous, Antique Anatomy, Arcana of Astrology, Slow Holler, Marigold
- If a Deck granting Magic Being appeared at your door, what is the deck you’d ask them for?
I want the original paintings of the Thoth deck AND a deck that shifts imagery to show specific people/places/symbols to the reader
- How did your Gateway Deck influence your tarot preferences and reading style?
Reading Thoth first means it took me a little bit to learn the traditional card associations (Ie 6 of Swords in Thoth is called “failure”), so my style is more intuitive than structured and absolutely influenced by astrology.